Habits play a considerable role in our lives. Habits affect how we eat, live, play, and our preferences in handling emotions like anxiety and stress. Some habits are helpful to keep your oral health in tip-top shape like brushing and flossing each day. Yet, there are other habits like chewing on ice or pen caps that could be putting your teeth in danger.
Our dentist, Dr. Alan L. Frame in Santa Clara, California, cares about your oral health and is happy to help you navigate through habits that are best to avoid for positive oral health.
Here are some habits to avoid achieving positive oral health:
- Chomping on pen caps or pencils puts pressure and strain on your jaw, which can hurt ligaments in your jaw or chip a tooth.
- Chewing on ice can be detrimental to your teeth because ice is a solid substance strong enough to crack or chip a tooth.
- Nail biting strains your TMJ’s and can cause pain to your joints in your future. It is best to avoid biting your nails to keep your TMJ’s healthy and strong.
- Eating disorders are perilous to your health and can cause severe problems to your teeth and gums. If you struggle with an eating disorder, seek professional help right away to be treated.
- Ignoring oral hygiene habits like brushing and flossing is placing your teeth at risk for gum disease and cavities, which could lead to tooth loss and even bone loss in your future.
If you avoid these habits, you could be preserving your smile and teeth for many years to come. If you have questions about your oral health, or if you need to see a professional dentist, then please call us today at 408-244-3562 to make an appointment. Our team looks forward to your call and helping your smile stay healthy.